Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - DB App Wizard In the mix!

DB App Wizard In the mix!

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby PenreeSoft on Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:20 pm

Hi all,
Just thought I'd get some feedback on this. I have had the idea of a DB Wizard for OrbForms...and I don't mean one using the Wizard format, I mean a completely seperate program that would give more functionality than that. It would inturn add all the code for record navigation but also, allow you to specify as many Db fields and their data types as neccessary. I started building this a while ago to show Cao what I would like, and he said that if I built it he could incorperate it into OrbForms by just launching it and then loading the generated project into the IDE so it would act almost like the built in wizards but be a lot functional. The way I have designed it, it looks just like internal wizards. Also, please post with what you would want it to include.

Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
http://www.penreesoft.com
Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
PenreeSoft

Postby fredoak on Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:47 am

Hey Nick,

Sweeeeet!

I'd love some automation, let's face it programmers will take the easy way when ever available.

I'd love to be able to set fields up that way, with the usuals, field length, field type, and any extras (underlined, font, shift on, etc)

And if we could indicate height and x, y position also I could lay out exact without having to move things around on screen or post edit on the PDA.
fredoak

Postby PenreeSoft on Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:45 pm

Hi Fred,

Heres the way I see it:

OrbForms' best asset is its UI Builder so I am just going to make all the fields, labels and put them on the form in a usable way but maybe not the way you would want it so you will have the option to launch the project and then reposition them. I will only include so many fields a form (as many as will fit nicely), which hasn't been decided yet. I may be offering beta versions in the near future, so check with me.

I am using a modified version of the RecMgr which has more features than the one put out by OrbWorks, it was modifed by Leif Lundberg (Fred, I know you know him but others don't ;)) and myself.

All of this work is taking time, and I may decided to charge for this, and I am kinda leaning that way, how much would be a good price for such an application? Ok, well I better get back to coding :-D

Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
PenreeSoft

Postby fredoak on Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:31 am

Depending on the features I could see a novice paying an extra $10-$15, for more experienced users I'm not so sure. I have my own version of RecMgr and a couple other files that I can get an app up and running in an realitively short period of time. So it would depend on the features as if the money spent would translate into saved time or additional features.
fredoak

Postby troyk9 on Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:11 am

I'm new to this. I started with PocketC 3 weeks ago and have written some medical programs pertaining to my job. Anything that makes OrbForms easier is very welcome :). I too have modified the program/tutorial to make a demographics program for our patients. The only problem is that I can not figure out how to transmit the database info that the program creates via email so it can be installed to be read on another PDA. Any ideas? If you can create a program that allows the user to txmit the data collected to another user with the same program that would solve a great problem here.
Good Luck - I will be amongst the first to make a stab at the wizard.
Michael
troyk9

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect