Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Adding source memos

Adding source memos

Postby Dotokor on Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:44 am

The only way I know how to add downloaded source code files is by loading them up in text editor somehow, and then copying and pasting into Palm desktop. This is WAY to difficult and too much hassle. Can't learn this way. There are too many files I need to sync, and takes too much time. Syncs are too frequent and run down my battery. Got a solution?
Dotokor

Postby PenreeSoft on Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Could convert them to DOC format with MakeDoc.

Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
http://www.penreesoft.com
Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
PenreeSoft

Postby Dotokor on Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:50 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PenreeSoft</i>
<br />Could convert them to DOC format with MakeDoc.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have no idea how that makes anything faster to download, extract, load up, and pasting to Palm desktop, and so forth. Sounds like it adds another step so PocketC app won't compile.
Dotokor

Postby PenreeSoft on Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:47 pm

Well there is no limit to how big they can be so you dont have to worry about breaking them up, futhermore you don't have to copy and paste into Palm Desktop, just select the file name and then choose auto-install to the user of your choice.

OR

you could stop complaining and being rude and just either take it like a man or use PDE.

Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
PenreeSoft

Postby jstadolnik on Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:49 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Well there is no limit to how big they can be

Actually, there is a limit. According to the PocketC documentation: The uncompressed size of a doc file must be less than 64K.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby PenreeSoft on Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:12 pm

OK, to rephrase that theres no 4k memo limit, just a 64k limit :)

Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
PenreeSoft

Postby Dotokor on Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:58 pm

Hey, I'm just a happy lucky Palm guy. It seems to me like you may be answering a different question Nicholas. I've never used MakeDoc so I don't have experience with it. There's not enough messsage for me to reply. PDE does not solve the problem I have, which I would happily discuss with any folks who are interested.
Dotokor

Postby jstadolnik on Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:35 am

If you are using the desktop version of PocketC and have POSE running in the background, all the programs you compile get automatically uploaded to POSE. This makes desktop development with PocketC quite easy.

Another approach is to use MakeDoc to convert your source textfiles into palm doc files. You can then drag and drop the resulting .prc file on to the emulator and do a compile. Since palm doc files can be quite large, this saves you the trouble of having to split the file up into smaller (4k) memo chunks.

Alternatively, you can upload the doc file to POSE with a custom perl script. POSE has a scripting interface which allows you automate a number emulator tasks (including file installs). See the POSE documentation for more details. Below is a perl script I use to upload the PToolboxLib to POSE every time I recompile it.

<pre id="code"><font face="courier" size="2" id="code">
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use EmRPC; # EmRPC::OpenConnection, CloseConnection
use HostControl;
use EmFunctions;
use EmUtils; # TapPenSync, TapButtonSync

EmRPC::OpenConnection(@ARGV);
HostControl::HostImportFile("C:/WINDOWS/Desktop/Palm_Stuff/PToolbox/PToolboxLib.prc",0);
EmRPC::CloseConnection();

print "Uploaded PToolboxLib to emulator\n"
</font id="code"></pre id="code">

Or you can then use a tool like PilotInstall (http://www.palmgear.com/software/showso ... rodID=7146) to upload the file to your PDA without the cost of a full hotsync.

Also, after a hotsync you can retrieve your doc files by looking in your "Program Files/Palm/<user_name>/Backup" directory for them.

All being said, a better solution to this problem would be for Jeremy to update the desktop compiler to be capable of reading and writing palm doc files directly. If you like this idea, I'd suggest putting in a request to Jeremy for it. The more responses he gets the greater the chances it will see the light of day.

Hopefully, some of these ideas will help you.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
jstadolnik

Postby Dotokor on Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:31 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jstadolnik</i>
>Another approach is to use MakeDoc to convert your source textfiles into palm doc files. You can then drag and drop the resulting .prc file on to the emulator and do a compile. Since palm doc files can be quite large, this saves you the trouble of having to split the file up into smaller (4k) memo chunks.

So then this lets you, say if you wrote 7K of source, you don't have to break it in two?

Now, if you have a file that #include's several other files or other libraries and a .h file, it is just a fair lot of steps in your way, as I mentioned. I've never used MakeDoc. If I ever tried it, probably it might have seemed to be one of those complicated contraptions from soundforge or whatever that make these Open Source hard to understand projects. I guess because I could already get files to read on the Palm, like with iSilo. If it takes several files and compresses them into one to pull apart on the Palm, that would be apropos.

Just like, I never read PocketC will read anything other than some text files starting with // in Memopad.

> Alternatively, you can upload the doc file to POSE with a custom perl script. POSE has a scripting interface which allows you automate a number emulator tasks (including file installs). See the POSE documentation for more details. Below is a perl script I use to upload the PToolboxLib to POSE every time I recompile it.

I haven't learned Perl yet. Books on it seemed over my head. But Ok, so if I maybe take that code, cut it and save in Notepad, add an extension that Perl will recognize, then it will upload whatever file/path is in quotes - if I run the file?

Thanks for the comments Joe.
Dotokor

Postby jstadolnik on Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:30 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
So then this lets you, say if you wrote 7K of source, you don't have to break it in two?

Yes.

I've never used MakeDoc. If I ever tried it, probably it might have seemed to be one of those complicated contraptions from soundforge or whatever that make these Open Source hard to understand projects. I guess because I could already get files to read on the Palm, like with iSilo.

What have you got to lose?

Just like, I never read PocketC will read anything other than some text files starting with // in Memopad.

Well, it usually takes many reads of the documentation (and much experimentation) to really understand it.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
jstadolnik

Postby maciek on Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:39 pm

where do you get the source code from?????
maciek

Return to PocketC for Palm OS KB