Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - New PocketC v4.0

New PocketC v4.0

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby artosoft on Fri Mar 23, 2001 6:35 am

Yes....!!!!!! I am jumping low and high!!!

This is the great thing on PocketC and PDE, since it capable to build standalone and color icon.

Thanks Jeremy :-)
Best regards, Dian Suharto Iskandar.
artosoft

Postby SyPDA on Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:39 am

Yeah! Absolutely cool feature!

But there are two things that bother me:

1. How can I stop my programs to exit to the preference screen and instead return to the launcher? I use the atexit command and don't want my users to exit my program AND the prefs to get back to their launcher.

2. POSE says that the PDE-generated files have wrong timestamps. Can anyone confirm this?
SyPDA

Postby Velvis on Fri Mar 23, 2001 2:07 pm

I guess my only complaints left are:
1) The speed of PocketC "controls" is there a way to either make a native library of controls?

2) How about the ability to add libraries to the generated prc? atleast add the time/date and sys library.

This would really make PocketC a viable product for creating commercial grade software. Bacially PocketC is too slow is the complaint I hear the most.
Velvis

Postby jstadolnik on Fri Mar 23, 2001 7:02 pm

Having stand alone apps is nice, however there is a price to pay for it... making it stand alone adds 54k to the .prc file size.

If you have say 5 pocketC apps each with it's own embedded runtime and compare that to the same 5 apps which use the external runtime instead, that's a difference of ~216k!

Granted the installs are easier for the single .prc method, but it doesn't come without a price.

-------------------

Much of the Controls could be put into a native library. There are two ways of doing this:

1) Keep the data structures the same, but just use the native lib to draw the controls faster. This is relatively easy to do.

2) Use a native library to use palmOS user interface API (forms, menus, edit fields, etc). This I think can be done, but it will require a new "event" like function to manage the form events (my biggest concern here would be in how exit events would be handled).

------------

It is possible to imbed one native library file into a .prc (one is the palmOS limit). You have to use par (http://www.djw.org/product/palm/par/) to get the "lib0" out of native lib .prc into your apps .prc. All you have to then is to
change your library call in your source code to point to your app.

For example:
//junk.c
//@name "junk"; //new desktop formating
library "junk"
main() {

Joe
jstadolnik

Postby Velvis on Fri Mar 23, 2001 9:39 pm

Joe,
Can I add a native library in addition to the applet & pocketc runtime that the DE creates?

Also what are the chances you are going to work on a control library?

Thanks
Velvis

Postby jstadolnik on Sat Mar 24, 2001 1:16 am

1) I haven't done it in a few months, but I can't see it won't work with 4.0.

2) Perhaps. If I do, it won't be anytime soon though.

Joe
jstadolnik

Postby Velvis on Mon Mar 26, 2001 12:39 am

Hey Joe,
Any chance you can run the process of adding a libary to an applet by me again?
I used par -x PktCDateLib.prc and ended up with a libr0000 file.

Now, I want to add that to my app named AP.prc
But I am a little confused as to how to do it.

Thanks for the help.
Velvis

Postby jstadolnik on Mon Mar 26, 2001 1:20 am

Use the append switch "a" to append the libr0000 file to your applet .prc.

Joe
jstadolnik

Postby Velvis on Mon Mar 26, 2001 2:19 am

Joe, I tried the following but Par crashes
par.exe a libr0000.bin ap.prc

Any ideas?
Velvis

Postby jstadolnik on Mon Mar 26, 2001 2:40 am

Just reverse the order of the files. The .prc file goes first so you can potentially stuff many binary resources into it.

par.exe a ap.prc libr0000.bin

Joe

BTW: This is also a great way to stuff tons of bitmaps into a .prc in one swoop. You can use Pil-RC (http://www.ardiri.com/palm/pilrc) to create the binaries for bitmaps. (e.g. par a app.prc *.bin)
jstadolnik

Postby Velvis on Mon Mar 26, 2001 3:17 pm

Ok, I finally figured it all out. Thanks so much for your help!

My question now is do you have any plans of adding the date & system libraries features to your toolbox library, so all-in-one apps can be distributed?

I for one would love a complete solution for distributing one prc file. While it has its drawbacks, it does allow for a one file solution that prevents users from deleting a file that they think they dont need, and not allowing the releated app to run.

Any chance of adding a date picker to your toolbox?

Anyways thanks again for your help.
Velvis

Postby jstadolnik on Mon Mar 26, 2001 4:54 pm

I'll look into a date select function.

My plan right now is to go into the business of producing custom variants of the PToolbox lib... for a fee.

So if you want some of the features of the lib, but don't want to carry the weight of the entire library, I can cut you a smaller version with only the features you want. You can then put the reduced library into your app.

I haven't worked out the details of the payment method yet.

Joe
jstadolnik

Postby Velvis on Mon Mar 26, 2001 9:17 pm

I think thats a great idea. Even better would be a flat fee and the ability for the end user to "roll his own". Although I dont know how feasible something like that would be.
Velvis

Return to PocketC for Palm OS